Friday, September 12, 2008

Vine charcoal = Hell

For those of you who don't know, vine charcoal is just what it sounds like, a burnt stick. Actually, it's pieces of willow stem, around 6" long, that have had their bark pealed and burned in the absence of air. It's soft and crumbly and smeary and just plain hard to deal with. It's also one of the first things that humans ever put their mark on a cave wall with. And now I have to draw with it, for a grade, many grades. I've used charcoal to draw with before, nice clean ground up and formed into a pencil with wood around it and everything. What can I say, I'm evolved, I like my art supplies to be also.

Maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal if I'd ever used this stick of Satan before, but I haven't. I've used graphite, pastel, conte', but no burnt stick. Did I mention it damn well might fall of the paper if you breath on it too hard? That at least makes it easier to erase all the mistakes I'm making since I've never drawn at an easel before now. But that's another whiny rant.

So I offer up this page of ellipses, one of 2 that I did last night, but only 2/3 of what I wanted to get done. And for a really good laugh, it only took me 3 hours to do 2 pages.

Tonight, it's 1 more page of these, then dun dun dun, CUBES!

1 comment:

DrSirDrawsALot said...

I haven't used my pack of vine charcoal that I bought last month, but my instructor told me that it wiped off so easily. Well, I am not sure, but maybe get paper that can hold the charcoal enough, but I can be wrong. I heard those sticks are pretty breakable as well. I am not sure. I'll tell you what. I'll go open my package of vine charcoal and see what you mean.