Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Module 13



Only 2 weeks left in this semester. I can't believe it's gone by this fast.


In photography this week, we had to do a Diptych or a Triptych. Which is to say 2 or 3 pictures meant to be viewed together. They could be pictures that commented on each other, or told a story or even pieces of the same thing. I chose the later and came up with this.


This is the downtown post office here in Texarkana. I though it would be a good subject for this because it's the only post office in the United States that sits in two states at the same time. It also holds the only Federal Court to do the same. On the left side is Texarkana,TX with Texarkana,AR on the right. There's a spot in front where tourists can take pictures with one foot in each state. Originally, I had planned to put a shot of Stateline Ave between the two halves, but couldn't get what I thought would be a good shot, too many stoplights and wires in the way.


One funny piece of trivia, the men's room is in Texas while the ladies is in Arkansas.




On to Analysis of Form. For the last 2 weeks I've been working in pen and ink, actually using a Micron pen, which has a very fine point. I scouted out buildings, took pictures and sketched some things, even got questioned by the local P.D. as to what I was doing downtown looking suspicious on a Sunday morning. Can't really blame them for that one, there was an alarm going off at a building a couple blocks away and I was sitting there with the motor running.


But, I digress. This is the old Hopkins Feed store in downtown Texarkana,Ar. It's been closed and vacant for some time and I've heard rumors it may get turned into a bar. My first time working in ink, which you can't erase, so I did more than one before finally deciding to go with this one. I would have liked to take it further, but just ran out of time. Be kind.




That's it for photography assignments. Still have the final exam in there but not much more. One more big still life for drawing class, and my first semester in art school is over.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

these are awesome, i love the downtown, such that it is